Sunday, August 17, 2008

Phone

The phone rang. Roger turned and looked at Ramoos. "Yeah, pick it up, please.", he responded. Roger picked up the phone, "This is Roger." He looked at Ramoos and shook his head. "Yeah, I've been away. Look, about the money. I think that there's been some kind of mistake." Roger shut up after that and just listened and started to tremble. Then he hung up. "What did they say?", asked Ramoos. "They say I have to pay $ 600,000!! If I don't pay in two days, they will be coming for me."

Ramoos called the squad. "Did you get that? Did you make a trace? No? Damn. Did you get the part about two days to go? Yeah, uh-huh. I'm calling the chief." Ramoos looked at Roger and called the chief. "Yeah, our guys made contact with Roger. They say he now owes them $ 600,000 and they'll be coming for him in two days. Yeah, uh-huh. We wait? Okay." Ramoos disconnected and turned and looked at Roger. "I'm going to stay with you until they show up. Do you have $ 600,000?" "Shit, no man. I don't even have $ 600 right now." "Can anybody get it for you?" "What? No. No way." "Looks like we'll be protecting you. If these pricks show up, we can nail them for extortion." "You don't know what you're dealing with..." trailed off Roger and slowly backed away from Ramoos looking down.

Ramoos called the squad. "Yeah, the chief wants to sit on our guy. You ready to make it for two days? Yeah, good. Look, when they show up - if they do - we bust them for extortion and dealing. Yeah, get ready. Be ready to take some evidence. We're taking them downtown."

"Got anything to eat?", asked Ramoos to Roger. "No." "Any place we can call for a delivery? It could be a long two days. You might want to get some food into you." "I've got a number for a Chinese place. They deliver." "Good, what do you want?" "The roast duck is pretty good. You might get some egg rolls, too. Here's the number." Ramoos called them, "Yeah, we need a delivery. We need some roast duck, some mushu pork, rice, fried rice and egg rolls. You got egg drop? Yeah? Send a couple of those, too." "Soda," said Roger. "Oh, and send a couple of sodas, too. Large. Coke? No, OK, Pepsi."

"Excuse me, I have to use the rest room.", said Roger. "Yeah, I guess we did detain you, for a while." Roger came out, "Ummm...I real should call work, if I still have a job." Roger made the call, "Yeah, its Roger...ummm, I had a little police emergency. There with me right now. No, somebody has been harassing me for several days now, and the police want to pick them up. Yeah, one them is with me right now." The supe wants to talk to you...he handed the phone to Ramoos. "This is Detective Ramoos. Yeah, we're fairly concerned for Roger's safety and we're with him right now. No, we need him for a couple of days. He's very shook up by this. You're welcome. Do you need to talk to him again? No. We should be through with him in 2 or 3 days. Uh-huh, thank you." To Roger, "Pretty good at covering up, aren't you? They seem to think you're trustworthy. Do they know about the drugs?" "I haven't, I don't see a need too since I kicked it." "Uh-huh..." said Ramoos, and sat down.

No comments: